Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Wordless Wednesday

 The red columns in St. Petersburg are called rostral columns. Since ancient times, and particularly Ancient Rome, architects used to “decorate” columns with trophies - the prows or rams of the defeated ships, which, in Latin, are called ‘rostrum’.

The more rostrums, the more enemies should be frightened to attack the navy. And more people would be proud of their country. 

Another famous example of the rostral column is the Columbus Monument at Columbus Circle in New York City. There are also rostral columns in French Bordeaux, on the place des Quinconces.


I am joining Sandee at Comedy Plus for the blog hop.




11 comments:

  1. I didn't know this. It's beautiful and I love the history lesson.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday, Jackie. Love and hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the explanation, and the wonderful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the photo and view I have learned something new too :-)

    Have a historytastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something new for me. The image is quite interesting with the front trees.
    A fine effect!
    Happy WW and a beautiful week, Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo. We have never thought the columns actually have a meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know this either; thank you for the information! What a stunning view!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome water photo with historical buildings ~ !

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for an interesting and very informative post! I didn't know about rostral columns and now I'll visit Columbus Circle with new eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely picture. I leave wiser than I was when I arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks supremely serene, dear Jackie.
    Hiya! Long time.

    Love,
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by. I always try to return comment visits.
Comment moderation is enabled after 48 hours but for some reason Blogger is moderating everything at the moment, so don't worry if you don't see your comment immediately.