Friday, October 11, 2019

Ireland Road Trip Part 8 Dungarvan Second Day.

We arrived in Dungarvan with apprehension.
We always book bed and breakfasts in the countryside for the peace and quiet, but two days before we had an email from the place we should have been staying telling us that they were still without power from the hurricane. As their water came from a bore hole it meant that couldn't be pumped up either and they had to get water from standpipes.

She said we were still welcome to come if we wanted to or couldn't find somewhere else. Obviously it would have been very difficult for her and us too. She told us the power was back in the town and I managed to find somewhere online.

It was in a built up area with a shop next door so we were expecting noise.
We needn't have worried though and it was quiet. The owner was very nice too and even offered to do laundry for us which I declined as we were going home in two days time.

Next morning after a very big breakfast we set off for the day.

The first place we stopped at was Clonea Strand and had a walk along the beach.
If you click on the photo you should be able to see two people in the distance walking towards us. We ended up chatting to them for about an hour.

All the seaweed is what was washed up during the storms.

Hurricane Ophelia had ripped it from the seabed still attached to the rocks it was growing on.

We went looking in rock pools to see what else had been washed up but saw no fish or crabs. They must have been washed out again.
We had been given suggestions of places to visit in the area so now we were going on to find an old copper mine workings.


Brian said...

The beach sure looks nice and I'm glad you alternative lodging worked out okay!

Sandee said...

Yikes on that storm that caused you to relocate. It turned out okay though.

Have a fabulous day and weekend. ♥

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Jackie; I liked this post; seaweed and all, the photo of the rocks/seaweed reminds one of just how powerful mom nature is...were the people you spoke to tourists also ?


Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

No, they were locals. The man was recovering from a major heart attack and surgery and was trying to get his strength back.
They parked where the houses are in the far distance and started with short walks before turning back. When we saw them they had built up to walking the full length of the beach and would go into a friend who lived the end we were, have a cuppa then be driven back to their car. He was hoping that a couple more months and they would be able to do the return journey. I hope he is doing well. They were a very nice couple.

Just Ducky said...

Glad you found a place to stay at the last minute. That was quite the storm.

Erin the Cat Princess said...

Wow, I love the look of those beaches, plus the quietness of it all is ideal for those like me that like that sort of thing.